Jalaludin Rumis' Poems in English that Show Love and Erotic

The following is Jalaludin Rumi's poem in English. These collected poems show Rumi's deep love for his teacher, Shamseddin. Although love in Rumi's view is not necessarily related to something erotic, when reading the three poems below, it is difficult to imagine it in another way.

 

    Picture of Rumi


The Greatness of Absence

 

Since seeing his face,

I can’t look at other people.

Once glance from him and I become drunk.

 

I’ve turned my body into wax

to receive the seal of Solomon.

In order to soften the wax,

I rub and knead it with my hands.

 

I threw away my false measures

after seeing him.

I became his flute and started crying

when his lips touched me.

 

I was blindly searching for his hand

while all the while he was holding mine.

I was asking about him from people

who knew nothing about him.

 

I was so naive.

My heart was empty.

I behave like a drunken idiot,

stealing my own gold with my own hands.

 

Like a thief I slipped into my garden

through a crack in the wall.

I stole roses and jasmine from my own garden.

 

Enough. Don’t point out my secret

with your finger.

I’ve already suffered so much at your hands.

 

He knows me inside and out, hair by hair,

all my rights and wrongs.

He sees everything I do.

I can’t keep anything a secret from him.

 

He is not the kind of sultan

who is so fond of fame and poetry

that I could impress him with verses

and long poems.

 

The greatness of absence is far greater

than the illusions and promises of paradise.

 

Shams of Tabriz is his chosen one, his beloved.

Maybe I can impress him

with the master of the time.


 

Shamseddin and Rumi together


Love Letter to Shams

 

O beloved,

our union lasted only a moment,

but our separation can be counted in years.

 

I watched in stunned silence

as you loaded your camel.

Suddenly night came.

Pitch darkness swallowed me

as I was separated from your sun-face.

 

You were going.

I stood frozen, in shock.

All the good times we had

were passing away.

 

If I hadn’t been so confused in that moment,

blood would have rushed to my face

and a howl burst from my throat.

 

I would have begged your pity.

I would have sacrificed  my life

hundreds of times over to you,

never mind my belongings.

 

I would have screamed like fire

in the dark night.

The fears of the day of resurrection

would have been unleashed.

 

Had I done that,

my heart wouldn’t have had to go through

the tortures of separation.

It wouldn’t have ended up in a situation

that causes even stones to cry.

 

Separation bends the straight arrow

of the back into a bow.

Tears become bloody;

the heart, naked and exposed.

 

O my master Shamseddin,

don’t break my hope

for the sake of your soul

that is already pure

as moonlight.

 

Your words, those pearls of oceans deep,

turn stones into rubies

and give ecstasy to everyone.


 

    Hous of Rumi in Afghan

What Can I Do?

 

My sweet-lipped beloved

never talks harshly

and never stops serving me wine.

 

He undresses me every morning.

“Come on,” he says.

“I am the one who changes your clothing.”

 

He comes home suddenly

and doesn’t give enough time.

Whatever I do

is not enough for him.

What can I do?

 

I’m stunned by his glass.

After seeing him,

my body turned to soul.

 

Seven layers of the sky

can’t contain him.

Yet he keeps moving inside of my shirt.

 

“You are in my hand,” he says.

“I created you.

Why shouldn’t I break you?”

 

I am your harp.

Your strike your plectrum

on every part of my body.

How can’t I cry?

 

In short,

“You can’t take your heart from me,”

he says.

My heart is not my own anymore.

What can I do?

 


Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

PENGGOLONGAN KOMUNIKASI DALAM ORGANISASI DAN SALURAN DAN MEDIA KOMUNIKASI DALAM ORGANISASI

3 Pendekatan Memahami Teknologi : Perkembangan Teknologi Informasi dan Pola Interaksi Remaja Masa Kini

Fungsi dan Kedudukan Hadis dalam Al-Qur'an